Friday, September 29, 2017

Flower stamping.

When I went to the Fiber Arts Festival this past summer, I saw different dying techniques and stamping that I wanted to try. I knew that you could use tea to dye fabrics, but I never thought of using flowers to get a print. It's become a new favorite technique.

Since it's the beginning of fall, there aren't very many flower options right now. I did manage to find some mum like daisies in the floral area at Wal-Mart - why buy expensive flowers that you're just going to smash up? This bouquet was only $3 and worked perfectly. Since I like how this turned out, I might splurge and buy some roses or tulips next time. Or during the summer, cut some lilacs off a bush to try. Can you image how that one will smell? Heavenly!

I placed the fabric on each side of the flower and laid it on a cement paver to hit with a hammer. If you don't want the print on each side of the fabric, you could use wax paper on the side where the hammer will hit. Each side turned out pretty great and would work perfectly if you want to do a border.


The juices from the base of the flower and stem didn't turn out as pretty as the flower petals themselves, but they still gave a cool light green color. I turned the flowers to the side, put them on their top and hit them with a pushing out motion so they would try to fan out like petals.


Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I would love to buy a couple bouquets and smash them on the full skirt all over. I'm not a huge fan of a big border at the bottom of a skirt - but I wouldn't mind it at the bottom of a flowy dress or floor length. Or a border would be nice on the bottom and cuff of a blouse. That's what I'll be working on in the next few weeks.



It's a good thing I can always get flowers from the grocery store or flower shop. I seem to come up with big plans during the winter when I'm cooped up inside. Stay tuned for these one of a kind floral pieces. Each stamp will be unique and not like anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment