Sunday, October 8, 2017

It finally happened.

Since February 2016, I've wanted to make a skirt Kelly Ripa had worn on Live with Kelly. I was tired of just thinking about this skirt that was never going to make itself and I was never going to find it in a store, at least not in one I could afford a button on one of the shirts sold. So I ordered some fabric from Etsy (not the same as in this blog post) that was coming from India. I'm always leery to get fabric online if I am not able to feel it or see it first to make sure it works for my design. Reminder: I need to study fabrics more and which ones work for what design. But it turned out great and I'm in love with it, although it took much longer than I thought and even the tracking thought.


This was a new McCall's pattern. The difficulty level of the pattern was low, it is essentially a wrap skirt with just a hook/eye closure. Leave it to me to screw it up. I ended up cutting the pattern out wrong on the fabric, so some panels of the skirt were backwards. Usually, when you cut out a pattern, you need 2 pieces of each side (front/back bodice, front/back leg). Although this one you cut one piece of fabric per pattern piece. Oh well, no biggie. As Tim Gunn would say, I 'made it work.'


I take inspiration from everything around me. My children, the fall colors, my husband. But I take my style inspiration from people like Katie Holmes, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kelly Ripa. Since they are not in my life daily (Live with Kelly & Ryan does not count), I look to my friends as well for inspiration and ideas. Who do you draw inspiration from?


          

I can't wait to get started on my next piece. When I was in Joann's Fabrics last time, I walked past this galaxy cotton print that stood out to me. It's so beautiful. It's a mixture of stars, galaxy colors (purple, blue, orange) and some smaller planet looking shapes. Stay tuned for that creation!

XX,
Kari


No comments:

Post a Comment