Friday, July 28, 2017

A tribute.

Fashion really does repeat itself. There is evidence of that when you look at New York designers and the classes like, Intro to Fashion History at NDSU.  But do we think about our own family history when thinking about fashion? Not all of us come from extreme fashion icons or those who let their personality show through their clothes.

I am lucky enough to have amazing photographs of my great grandmother, great grandfather and grandmother. Some of these pictures you can see fur coats, sheer bodice dresses and hats, lots of hats. My grandma was never one to consider herself fashionable. But I still remember several of her outfits that stuck out to me. A blue and white polka dot dress, a white sweater cardigan and I even wore her bright sunshine yellow dress to her funeral in 2014. This was my favorite piece of hers, including the gold pearl goldfish pin that she pinned in the center bow.


While we might not wear fur coats as much anymore (especially today - who else is enjoying this 85 degree weather?), you still see some items that may stem from fur coats of the 70's. And with the hundreds of different types of hats, there's gotta be one that's flattering on you.

There is absolutely still a trend with sheer in everything; dresses, blouses and even pants. Sheer is one trend I can get on board with. When it's done tastefully, it could even be worn to work. Sheer doesn't have to be trashy or show everything. Check out this blouse from H&M. This mint color gives a demure feel with a skirt or dress up some jeans.



If you are want to add some sheer to your legs, it can be tricky to find an area that can be shown. Kate Hudson's Fabletics brand mixes in some sheer in the yoga leggings. The sheer cut outs are specifically around the knee and show just enough. If you're like me and leggings aren't your style (shocking, right?), check out these sheer palazzo pants from Macy's. I think I remember my mom wearing something similar, that covered her whole leg, to a wedding. Don't they look comfortable? There are 2 completely different women in these two pairs of pants.




It's one thing to wear leggings with sheer cut-outs, but it's another thing to wear a vintage style dress with a sheer neckline. It has to be tasteful. First, is the color flattering? It's not bright red or black leather? Those two colors stick out in my mind as being something that could give off the wrong impression with a sheer panel.

With this dress, even though skin is showing, it's covered and gives a modest look. Modcloth.com (Modest? Modcloth? A connection?) always has the best vintage and retro style clothes. I found this white maxi dress with a sheer bodice that even my grandmother would approve of. Remember to wear an appropriate bra! A red one is not!



I used to struggle with finding a hat to cover my huge hair. I was jealous of those girls who wore fabulous hats with ease. Until I finally just gave in and decided not to let my crazy hair control me! Break the curl chains! I've had enough! Hallelujah! And this was even years after I cut my hair to a pixie cut. I still have crazy curls, but finding something that fits and still lets my curls have a voice of their own is the perfect combination.

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Anna Lee, a hat designer out of Minneapolis, MN. Her stuff is simply gorgeous and I am in awe of the work she creates. She is one to never let the vintage hat go out of style. If my grandma were still alive today, I have no doubt that she would be transported back in time after seeing Workerby hats. They bring me back to these pictures of my relatives and I am so grateful that Anna Lee continues to remind us never to forget where we came from.



When I look at these pictures of my family from years ago, I remember that even though a lot separates us, (war, economy, black & white tv, cell phones - to name a few) we are still family and this is where I came from. Oh! And we all still need to wear clothes. How will your style be remembered?







No comments:

Post a Comment