Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Wowsa!

Avant garde. I've never created wearable art that I really thought I could pull off wearing in public. It seemed intimidating and too hard to make something so extreme. Until now.

This week's Project Runway challenge was to create an avant garde piece inspired by the constellations and heavenly bodies. The designers watched a planetarium show and saw several different groups of stars, including the sun. I drew my inspiration from the sun and the colors that surrounded it.


When I went shopping at Joann's, I went looking for an orange/red color that really resembled the sun and it's warmth. I found a silky burnt orange fabric that stood out to me and felt really expensive (even though it was one of the cheaper bolts I found). I sketched and used a fitted dress pattern with a flare on the side collar that I enhanced and exaggerated, because it was an avant garde challenge.

I struggled with designing the back and which zipper to use. In the end, I decided to keep it simple and use the orange zipper so that it didn't take away from the exaggerated drape in the front. I could just hear Ann Fullenwider and Georgina Chapman saying, 'Less is more' and 'Don't make it have too many ideas.'


I really loved how this look turned out and I can't wait to wear it out on the town. It will be perfect for a warm summer night on a rooftop restaurant or patio - whenever summer decides to show up. Only a few more challenges left and it's got me thinking, what should I create when I make the final mini-collection. I need to start thinking (and saving) for that now. It will be spring by that time, I can't wait to bring some florals and color into the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment