Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Challenged.

I knew it was coming, I just didn't know what it would be. I feared it and didn't want it to happen this quickly. Would I be able to get the materials? Could I make something so outside my comfort zone. I would be tested, challenged and pushed to the limits.

The unconventional challenge.

The designers were challenged to make a modern take on a ball gown. But, they had to use balls to create the ball gown. I knew I couldn't get a bunch of balls to cut apart and my boys wouldn't let me cut apart their basketballs and footballs, so I put the 'oon' in ball....balloons.


Something that stuck with me while I was sketching and creating the piece was what Ann Fullenwider said. She said that the modern day princess who wears a ballgown could be going anywhere; a ball, an after party, or a rave, so it didn't have to be the stereotypical floor length dress.

When I went to Party City to pick up balloons, I thought about going with the traditional classic colors; gold, silver, white, but I decided to step outside my comfort zone and choose teal. When I went back to pick up more balloons, I had taken all of the larger teal ones and had to get a darker shade of teal. So I created an ombre type train.


Honestly, I'm proud that I created something that doesn't resemble a condom. That was my biggest concern. I don't think I'll be wearing this or selling it to a client anytime soon, unless someone wants to rock the new Britney Spears red jumpsuit.... yeah, no.


No comments:

Post a Comment