Thursday, August 25, 2011

History of Fashion 101

On my drive to work the other day, I saw a woman walking to the college with her backpack on her arm and realize school has started once again. As I watch her walk down the block, I remember one of my favorite days walking to college. I moved into an apartment a few blocks from campus and didn't have a car, so I walked. One day in Fashion Design class I had a presentation that I needed to dress professional for. I decided to wear black dress pants with a white button down blouse and a black button down sweater over and some black heels that I would never wear now that I have more style. They were black and strappy, with one strap over the toes and a strap around my ankle with a thick chunky heel. Not at all the 4 inch heels I wear now. This was the first time I had actually walked the entire 6 blocks in heels and all around campus that day. I remember feeling like I was really dressed up and looked very professional. Everyone was commenting on how I looked and how good my heels looked with my pants. It was such a good feeling and nice to be noticed that I took the time to put myself together. Believe it or not, I used to wear sweatpants outside and to class, mostly because I was always running late.

By the time I got home that day and done with classes, not only was my self esteem raised but I couldn't wait to go to class the next day and wear my next professional outfit. Surprisingly, my feet did not hurt from walking to and from campus and the 4 hours of classes. Since the black heels were my only heels, I had to go shopping for more. So began the itch for shopping for shoes, that I had to scratch! The next pair of heels I bought were hot pink pumps from Wet Seal - that I still own, although I wore them so much they are really worn out.

Now when I put on my heels everyday (or every other day), a little part of me remembers the day that I first wore heels and fell in love. It's almost like when Dorothy puts on the ruby slippers for the first time and feels transformed into Dorothy from Oz, not farm girl Dorothy from Kansas. And doesn't everyone want to be transformed into color and stand out?

No comments:

Post a Comment