Thursday, August 3, 2017

World Breastfeeding Week

As the World Breastfeeding Week comes to an end, I wanted to share about my two passions; breastfeeding and fashion. It's not always easy to be fashionable and still feed an infant or a toddler (as I plan to). They are always pulling at your clothes and jewelry or demanding the boob on cue. Just one of the many joys of motherhood.

After 23 months (between Edison and Linus) and still counting, here are some tips I have for dressing your best self while nursing.


Dresses. I'm a total dress girl. But, it can be hard to nurse in a dress because you can't pick it up from the bottom. You could, but that would be a whole other topic. This green sage one is from Old Navy and is a stretch jersey that can be stretched under the bust. I bought a size larger than I normally would to make sure there was enough stretch. P.S. It's on sale right now. Get it.

Some other dresses I've worn are button down dresses, spaghetti strap and strapless dresses. With the thin strap, I pull it down and take the strap off my shoulder. Those are often not a stretch material, so pulling down the strap seems to help better than stretching it. When the one strap is down, the other stays up and keeps you covered.

I've seen dresses that you can nurse from the side. This might be a halter type neckline. I would love to find one that I can nurse from the side. This one from Forever 21 might be fun if you don't mind showing this much skin.


Button down blouses. These are some of my favorite tops to nurse in. The top 2 buttons can simply be unbuttoned and still have the other side covered. Most nursing women will use the layered method and have a tank top underneath the shirt to keep their stomach covered. A button down blouse does the same thing while only wearing one layer.

We often think of button down shirts as a business casual look, but this could easily be your favorite flannel or chambray shirt. Check out this from Maurices. With this price, you won't be worried about sneaking the bag inside the house in front of your husband either.

I never thought that this would become my life. It's something I'm so passionate about and love to encourage other women to succeed at. It's a good thing that it is so important to me because it sure hasn't been easy. At least I look good though the pain and struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment