Sunday, August 6, 2017

Project Fargo Fashion Week

Do you have those friends that give you a compliment and while they may be telling the truth, you think they are totally lying?

So many times my friends and clients have told me that I should apply to Project Runway. Each time I hear that, I'm flattered because I don't think I would even make the top 50. I enjoy sewing and designing, but let's get real. The last time I actually created the pattern myself was when I went to college at NDSU in 2003-2005. Over 10 years ago! That is definitely not like riding a bike. Arm holes, darts, bodice, there's no training wheels for that.

I tell you this because I finally did something similar. No, it's not Project Runway. But it's the North Dakota version; Fargo Fashion Week. I applied to enter one of my designs into the competition. I applied before I decided which one I would enter, before I had a chance to back out and before I could nit-pick each of my designs thinking it wasn't good enough. I found myself entering my name, address and email for the registration.


Now, how do I decide? Do I pick something I've never worn before and not sure I can squeeze into after baby? Or do I pick something that I've worn to a Christmas party? The first splatter print on the left is a jumpsuit with wide mid-calf legs. The second green dress is short and has petal-like ruffles on the skirt. The third is one of my favorite pieces that I designed inspired by a dress Courtney Cox had on at an award show. I've worn it to a Christmas party last year and loved it. Or lastly, a floral mix of prints dress? The bottom knee length skirt is floral and the top is plum with gold rose accents.

I know I shouldn't play favorites, but I think the jumpsuit and the navy/black dresses really embody me as a designer. I like prints and color. These 2 pieces show this.  

The competition is August 17th and the Fargo Fashion Week is September 18, 2017. I'm sure I'll have something narrowed down by then. If I have an extra 48 hours, I may even create something new. Nothing like a Project Runway style challenge for this competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment