Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Glitter Gala 2017

I attended the 1st Annual FirstLink Glitter Gala last night at the Delta Hotel. I must admit, I didn't know anything about FirstLink or what it was. I only saw 'glitter' in the event and I was intrigued. - I often search through community events to see what our 'big city' is doing in the world of fashion. I met up with one of my friends I met through a mom group. I felt completely underdressed in my vintage sequin blouse and boyfriend jeans, compared to what she was wearing. She had a black formal dress and more bling than the richest rapper, tastefully worn of course. She was beautiful, I was lucky to stand next to her for pictures.


As I sat and talked to her more, I learned what FirstLink was about. Her husband had committed suicide several years ago and FirstLink was there to help her and the emotions that go with that. I have never been directly affected by anyone who took their own life, but I believe it is a condition that is kept very quiet and needs to be talked about more.

The theme of the event, glitter, fit perfectly. We are to show the shine and sparkle of those we love, lost to suicide. There was so much glitter, sequins and rhinestones, it was as if the girls bathroom of my high school blew up. Doesn't anyone remember that glitter eye gel we used to all wear? I can remember the little Carmex size jar I had.

Besides my friend's dress, a few of my favorites were these two beautiful ladies. The nude color dress and sequins are such a classic look, even if they are covered with sparkle.


I had a wonderful time and it was amazing to hear inspiring stories from my friend and others who have been affected by suicide. I am excited to attend this event next year and bring even more awareness to this cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment