Sunday, August 20, 2017

The results.

Project Fargo Fashion Week design competition was last night. It was a blast. I met my models at 5:00 during rehearsal and was so happy to have such beautiful girls. I started talking to them about their modeling careers and what they were going to school for. One model, Elizabeth had done all the makeup for the other models. It was clear she enjoyed doing it because the makeup was flawless. My other model, Natalie was young and just entered the modeling business. They were both such sweethearts and I felt lucky to have them chosen for me.

At rehearsal, the producer of the show explained that 4 designers would be selected and they would make a 10 piece collection for Fargo's Fashion Week in September. This was news to me, I had just signed up thinking it would be fun entering my designs. No way did I know that I'd have to make a small collection. I tend to jump into things without fully thinking them through. The pressure was on!

Out of my personal collection, I selected 2 outfits that I had made in the middle of having babies, so I wasn't sure how they would fit. My green ruffle dress was a little snug on Natalie, but she rocked it and looked amazing!! I included the shoulder piece made from unconventional materials that I had planned on entering the West Acres Recyclable Fashion but was never held. Last night was the perfect night to use this piece. I absolutely love it and would even consider wearing it myself on a date night or special event. Natalie gave a power stance at the end of the runway that was so fierce it commanded the room. I was so pleased how she walked and felt comfortable in the mini-dress, even though it may have been too tight.


The other piece I selected was my blue/orange splatter print jumpsuit with pockets. Ever since I found that fabric at Joann's it has been one of my favorite pieces. I almost had to part with it last night because Lizzie loved it so much, she offered to buy it. I was so flattered that something I created was really liked. My design aesthetic is prints and lots of color. I get that it is not everyone's taste. So it's nice to hear that those who like prints, like what I create. I had to turn her down on buying it, just because it was a favorite. But I would make anything for her that she needs for pageants. Just let me know, Lizzie!


Well, I didn't win the show. But that's ok. I'm not ready to make a 10 piece collection right now. Life gets in the way and it would not be my best work. Maybe in the next few years I'll be able to go back and win it with my designs. Watch out for Style by Kari in 2020, I'm going to crush it!




1 comment:

  1. You are going to crush it!! Proud of you for entering! B

    ReplyDelete