Sunday, March 12, 2017

In session: Sewing for dummies.

I started sewing when I was a junior in high school. I made a couple skirts with elastic waistbands, nothing fancy. My mom helped me use her sewing machine, but I am mostly self taught. I then graduated an went to NDSU for fashion design where I completed 2 years. After taking a couple years off, I was pleasantly surprised that it was just like riding a bike. I started sewing again and making more elaborate things with patterns and harder fabrics. Although I went to school for fashion and sewing, I never considered myself a pro-seamstress.

A friend of mine from high school recently bought a sewing machine and wanted me to help her sew and learn some basics. I was happy to help. I showed her how to sew and measure the seam allowance on the machine and how to finish the edge by doing a top stitch.


These are the two fabrics I was working with. I tried to pick different colors so that you could tell which was the right side and which was the wrong side of the fabric.


Next, pin the right sides together to create the seam on one side. Where my pins are in this picture is where you will be sewing.


Now comes the scary part, using the sewing machine. Don't be nervous. It can smell fear. If you want a smaller seam allowance, I usually just follow the outside of the presser foot. If you prefer a wider seam allowance, each machine has a small ruler guide on the right side of the foot to follow when you are sewing. Of course your fabric will not always align perfectly and you may end up with a 1/2 inch seam allowance or a 1/4 inch seam allowance in some places. I say, as long as it holds together, it's totally fine!


After you have stitched your line, turn the fabric so the wrong sides are touching. Pin at the seam and stitch on the top of the right side of the fabric, close to the edge; 1/4 inch.

This isn't one of the fancier seams or finishes, but it does give your project a nice flat seam in the end. I have used it on bandana bibs, baby booties, some seams of clothing and blankets. I hope this was a good crash course for you and your next project will turn out fabulous because of these tips.

Now, I have to finish sewing the 35 other projects on my list.




No comments:

Post a Comment